Tag Archives: Housing

Chairman’s Annual Lunch 2012

It started as a lunch in the garden of the Commodore’s official residence in the Naval Base, moved to a marquee within the Wardroom gardens and finally found its way to the Royal Naval Museum in the Naval Historic Dockyard.

 The Chairman’s Annual luncheon for tenants that is.

This year around 90 tenants from all our Courts enjoyed a buffet lunch along with the Chairman and members of the Board of Management.  As in previous years the Wardens worked hard to sell an enormous number of raffle tickets which raised £483.00. The money was donated equally to both  Macmillan Nurses and the Royal British Legion.

A big “THANK YOU” to all who contributed.

Residents enjoying lunch and a glass of wine

Cornwell Court Annex

Cornwell Court, Southsea

Four years later and the Annex is officially opened!!!!

Admiral Sir Jonathon Band GCB DL former First Sea Lord opens the Annex on Thursday 16th February 2012.

In 2008 a local builder approached the Association with a view to selling two of the three properties adjacent to Cornwell Court, and the Board felt that with the addition of the third house this would be a good time to extend Cornwell Court, one of the Association’s most popular buildings.

The last house was bought in July 2009 and demolition started early in 2010. Planning permission was granted to build 16 flats plus warden accommodation and, after much work by local architects RBA Ltd and Quantity Surveyors Currie & Brown, the contract was awarded to Wilding Butler Construction Ltd who began work in February 2011.

The rest of the year flew past with a lot of noise, disruption, and dust until the Annex was handed over to the Association in January 2012 and at last we were able to invite tenants to move in.

Admiral Sir Jonathon Band GCB DL officially opened the Annex in the presence of residents, Members of  the Board of Management and invited guests. On completion they joined residents in the main lounge for a buffet lunch and a glass of wine or two!

The Association would like to thank all the professionals involved in turning this vision into reality.

Quote of the day  

“You can hardly see the join”

Thursday 16th February, 2012

Residents and guests enjoy lunch after the official opening of Cornwell Court Annex

Eliza Mackenzie Court

Towards the end of 2010 an opportunity arose for the Association to purchase a block of sheltered accommodation, Beamond Court in Cosham, owned then by Anchor Housing Trust.

Beamond Court housed 23 studios, 16 one bedroom flats,and warden accommodation. The Associations Board decided the size of the building and location presented an excellent opportunity to expand its existing stock.

The project to transform the building into our usual one bedroom appartments, communal facilities, and warden accommodation was passed to the architects RBA Ltd who drew up plans to provide 46 one bedroom appartments for rent by one or two persons, plus the wardens flat, and planning permission was duly applied for. 

In the meantime, and in keeping with our “Naval” heritage,  the question of a name for the Court was raised, several names were mentioned but the clear winner was Eliza Mackenzie.   In 1854, during the Crimean War,  Mrs Eliza Mackenzie led a party of six experienced nurses to the Navy’s base hospital in Therapia, Constantinople.  These ladies  pioneered ultimately for the Naval Nursing Officers which came into being in 1884.  In 1902 Her Majesty Queen Alexandra became President of the Nursing Staff which  was known thereafter as the Queen Alexandra Royal Naval Nursing Service . 

Planning permission for the new court was granted at the end of January 2012. The project went out to tender in March and was duly awarded to Wilding Butler Construction  Ltd who started work on site 18th June 2012.

Watch out for further updates as the project progresses.