Our History

In 1933, on the instructions of the Admiralty, a Committee of Ex Naval Officers and Ratings under the Chairmanship of the Commodore, Royal Naval Barracks, Portsmouth formed the Victory Housing Society Limited to provide housing for Naval Ratings and their families.  Using money borrowed from the RNB(P) Supper Fund and the Public Works Loan Board a total of 132 homes were built at Tipner and a further 278 were built in 1946  in Bridgemary using a local authority loan.

Following the introduction of Married Quarters in the late 1950’s, the need for Victory Housing Society property declined and 1968 saw the start of their houses being sold to ‘sitting tenants’.  It was decided that the proceeds should be used to build Sheltered Accommodation for people of state retirement age with preference given to ex RN/RM/WRNS & QARNNS non-commissioned personnel.

In 1974 the Agamemnon Housing Association was formed under the same Management Committee and Neptune Court, the first of the present properties, was built.  Further developments followed in 1988, 1990, 1994 and 1998 in Gosport, Southsea, Waterlooville and Portsmouth giving a total of 174 self-contained flats for rental.

In 2011, a sixteen flat extension was added to Cornwell Court in Southsea which took the total flats for rent at that time to 190.

Most recently, the Association purchased a block of 39 flats and warden accommodation in Cosham which required extensive refurbishment. The building was renamed Eliza Mackenzie Court and after two years of construction work the completed building was handed over to the association on May 14, 2014. This very modern court encompasses many of the very latest energy conservation materials and processes including solar power. The building now contains 46 flats, both one and two person, bringing the association’s current total to 236 flats.

The Association is registered under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 – Registration Number 20184R, the Homes and Communities Agency – Registration Number L0916 and The National Housing Federation.

We are governed by a voluntary Board of Trustees under the Chairmanship of Commander Rod Edwards RN, with many Board Members being ex RN/RM, WRNS and QARNNS. Board meetings are normally held each quarter with an AGM in April. Occasionally, these meetings are held in one of the courts followed after refreshments with tenants.

Day to day running of the Association is conducted by the Chief Executive Officer with the assistance of the Letting and Finance Officer, the Property Maintenance Officer and on-site Wardens.

One of our trustees, Patrick Binks, has written this full and illustrated history of the association giving much more detail than above  –  Click here to see the full history

Advertisements