Eliza Mackenzie Court

Towards the end of 2010 an opportunity arose for the Association to purchase a block of sheltered accommodation, Beamond Court in Cosham, owned then by Anchor Housing Trust.

Beamond Court housed 23 studios, 16 one bedroom flats,and warden accommodation. The Associations Board decided the size of the building and location presented an excellent opportunity to expand its existing stock.

The project to transform the building into our usual one bedroom appartments, communal facilities, and warden accommodation was passed to the architects RBA Ltd who drew up plans to provide 46 one bedroom appartments for rent by one or two persons, plus the wardens flat, and planning permission was duly applied for. 

In the meantime, and in keeping with our “Naval” heritage,  the question of a name for the Court was raised, several names were mentioned but the clear winner was Eliza Mackenzie.   In 1854, during the Crimean War,  Mrs Eliza Mackenzie led a party of six experienced nurses to the Navy’s base hospital in Therapia, Constantinople.  These ladies  pioneered ultimately for the Naval Nursing Officers which came into being in 1884.  In 1902 Her Majesty Queen Alexandra became President of the Nursing Staff which  was known thereafter as the Queen Alexandra Royal Naval Nursing Service . 

Planning permission for the new court was granted at the end of January 2012. The project went out to tender in March and was duly awarded to Wilding Butler Construction  Ltd who started work on site 18th June 2012.

Watch out for further updates as the project progresses.

Advertisements